Friday, September 16, 2016

College Cyclist Commuters...Sigh

While walking to the bus stop this morning, waiting at a red light at an intersection, I watched a cyclist, sans helmet scoot through. Actually, rather than scooting, he was wobbling because he was trying to get his right foot into his toe straps. Looked like another college student commuting in.

When my light turned green and I had already started to cross, a white Audi A7 was about to do a Pittsburgh-left right into me. I made eye contact with him and tilted my head to the side, "are you really going to Pittsburgh-left into me?" Fortunately, he caught himself and stopped. He smiled sheepishly at me and let his on-coming traffic through while I crossed.

No bunching at the bus stop this week, but there were about 8-9 people at my bus stop. I'm grateful. The tally for today:

Ignorant Cyclist: 1

The driver caught himself and thought better. I'll note that but not sure if it fits into these tallies.

[Edited: 2:27PM]
I may have perhaps spoken too soon. At lunch time, my husband came to pick me up around 11:45am to go out to pick up one of our old cars from the mechanic. The interchange between downtown and the North Side is tricky.  You cross a bridge from 376 or downtown (2 origins) to potentially 3 destinations: North Side, West End Bridge/65, or 279. And you have about 100 feet to negotiate your lane.

As soon as my husband signaled to go right, the car in the right lane blocked us. Forcing us to slow down significantly and go behind the car. Who then slowed down on us.

And then coming back to work for me, again, trying to merge, I was blocked by a Hyundai. I was in the far left lane (in CA we call that lane 1) and I wanted to go to the far right lane (we would call that lane 3) but the Hyundai refused to let me into lane 2, then refused me into lane 3 until a car moved in front of it and he was forced to slow down.

So for today's updated tally:
Ignorant Cyclist: 1
Ignorant Drivers: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment